Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Real Reason Why I Became A Scientist


SEX!

Yep, let me reiterate: SEX!

This is not particularly original, nor probably even interesting. But it is the truth.

When I was young (I mean really, really young, i.e. a teen in my "formative" years), I was (gasp!) boy crazy. And I thought that a girl sporting a labcoat and spouting highly complex scientific analyses--yet exuding certain feminine characteristics (namely lipstick, short skirts, and cool hair)--would be the ideal mix of serious and sexy. Not to mention that there were very, very few women in science (not like that has made an acceptable shift 30+ years later, which, sadly, we do need to discuss sometime). So, at least in my then quasi-analytical view, I interpreted that the numbers would make things much more interesting. And besides, what male has not had (or at least appreciated) the dichotomy that is at the heart of the good old librarian fantasy? Add to this the then released Thomas Dolby*, the opportunity to rebelliously break into something so entrenched into the bastion of the male domain (yep, I was a blooming third wave feminist before I knew it)--coupled with the appeal of pursuing something that was challenging (science actually was not my easiest area, but I had thought it noble to select a challenge over a more sure-shot, fool I was!)--it all came together in the final decision.

Regrets? No, not really. It has been all I thought it would be and then some. I have enjoyed the challenges, and especially succeeding in the faces (emphasis on plural) of adversity. Being on the forefront of discovery and new knowledge is supremely cool, and some days I am lucky enough to see first hand that there is so much beauty in biology that it literally brings me to tears. But, back on point, did becoming a scientist indeed enhance my sex life? Of course it did. At least I think it did. It certainly cut to the chase by boosting encounters with my preferred "type", i.e. super-smart, tech-savvy, somewhat geeky, socially awkard but otherwise utterly adorable males. It even connected me with my soon to be ex-husband (otherwise referred to as the "Wingnut" when I'm feeling generous, and the "Jackass" when I'm feeling particularly direct).

And for the present? Well, in my dreams, I still wonder whether some of these childish notions actually derive from a very real, albeit inexplicable connection that may bring me back--somehow, some day, some way--to my Boy.

* "She Blinded Me With Science", from The Golden Age of Wireless (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment